Thursday, January 3, 2008

Quadrophenia (and other great music)


Finally got around to ripping one of my holiday presents: Quadrophenia, The Who's second rock opera. And I thought Tommy was great with its amazing musicianship (just listen to Townsend on the acoustic guitar in the Overture) and tight thematic orchestrations that made that album one of the sixties classic rock set pieces. Quadrophenia though is, I believe, The Who's crowning achievement. This is immortal music and a must listen. Definitely something I would take if stranded on a desert isle (and still able to play my iPod).

Here are my music (re)discoveries in 2007:

1. Led Zeppelin (all of it)
2. The Who (Tommy, Quadrophenia)
3. The Beatles (anything and everything)
4. Schubert (the piano sonatas)
5. Bach (the cello suites - Rostropovich, naturally)
6. Jan Klemmer (Touch - the most romantic jazz album ever)
7. Al Di Meola (Kiss My Axe - no explanation required)
8. Lee Ritenour (Stolen Moments is a jazz classic)
9. Dave Brubeck (Time Out)
10. Jane Monheit (the best of the young jazz singers)